1. French is the official language of 32 countries including: Belgium, Switzerland, Canada, Ivory Coast, Luxembourg, Monaco, Congo, Niger etc.
2. The word “salut” means both “hello” and “goodbye”.
3. French was the official language of England for over 300 years.
4. It’s the mother tongue of 75 million people worldwide.
5. It’s the second most commonly taught foreign language, after English.6. French is a mother tongue to 1.6 million Americans and 6 to 11 million Americans speak French fluently as a 2nd language.
7. It’s the official language of the United Nations.
8. French is also the only language, with English, that is taught in every country of the world, with 100 million students and 2 million teachers – 20 % of whom are outside of francophone countries.
9. At the time of the French Revolution, 75% of French citizens didn’t speak French as a mother tongue.
10. French-speaking scientists and technicians invented the hot air balloon, cinema, radial tires, smart cards, HDTV, the snowmobile, the saxophone, Velcro and more.
11. 34% of the French can speak English.
12. French toast and french fries aren’t French inventions.
13. French has more than a million words and 20,000 new ones are created every year.
14. Non-French celebrities who speak French include: Jodie Foster, Johnny Depp, Diane Kruger, Elton John, Ewan Mcgregor, Halle Berry, Brendan Fraser, Madonna, Mick Jagger, John Travolta, Alanis Morisette, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeremy Irons, Justin Bieber, Michelle Obama, Morgan Freeman, etc.
15. French film production – at 500 films per year – is number two in the world
There you go, fifteen more reasons to learn it!